About a year ago, I came across a Marianne Williamson quote that says, “ We are often tired and imbalanced not because we are doing too much, but because we are doing too little of what is most real and meaningful.” At the time, I was completely overwhelmed and my life was full of … stuff. My motto has always been, “Carpe Diem” but I was exhausted. Everything seemed real and meaningful so I accepted that perhaps it was my fate to be overwhelmed and exhausted.
Fast forward a year and I came across that quote again. This time, I saw it with new eyes. I realized that there were areas of my life that were NOT real and meaningful but were occupying my time, energy, thoughts and heart space. As I audited my life, there were not nearly enough of those satisfying, soul-stirring experiences.
Here are some ideas to help reconnect you to your purpose and passion, the road that leads to a real and meaningful life:
Be Quiet – One way to open yourself up to clarity is to be silent and begin to hold a space in your heart to accept the revelations. Slow down, breathe and over the course of the next few days or weeks, begin to reflect on your life.
Reflect– Be honest with yourself and answer these questions:
- When you were a child, what did you dream you’d be when you grew up?
- Over the last year, when were you most excited?
- What do you REALLY enjoy doing (even if you’re not great at it)?
- What are you passionate about?
- If you could design your perfect day (from the moment you wake up to the time you go to sleep), what would it look like? Be specific
- What are you most proud of?
- When was the last time you felt completely and utterly fulfilled?
- If you knew that you had 1 day left to live, what would you most regret not doing?
- When you’re gone, what do you want your legacy to be? How do you want to be remembered?
There is no purpose too small or too big. Maybe your passion lies in being a phenomenal parent. Maybe it’s cooking. Maybe it’s being an entrepreneur or a professional singer. Whatever it is, be brave enough to own it and embrace it! It’s YOURS. That desire has been placed in your heart for a reason so take action!
Say Goodbye to Barriers: You may realize that some toxicity exists that is a barrier to living your purpose and passion. It could be in the form of a relationship that drains the hell out of you. It could be a job that no longer fulfills you. It could be an obligation that someone is guilting you into or coercing you to do. Whatever, the barrier is, it may be time to say goodbye to those things or people.
As we grow and evolve, our purpose and passions may grow and evolve with us. We may have to go on this journey of discovery several times throughout our lives but what’s important is that we allow ourselves time and space to find and embrace all that is real and meaningful. After all, you only have one life. Make magic of it!